R E C O R D · C O N N E X I O N
If this page doesn't load with links on the left side, please click here (once) to go to the home page!
(1957 - 1959)
- Sullivan (Sullivan Records) was one of Hoyt Sullivan's first labels, probably only preceded by the Hoyt's label (on which only two known releases appeared, 1955-56). Both showed the Box 2098 address in Greenwood, SC. on the labels, except for Sullivan 6226, probably the last release on the label (it showed the 305 Phoenix St. address, also in Greenwood, SC.). Hoyt Sullivan later ran the HSE and HSH labels.
- There has been some confusion about when the Sullivan 45's were released. Years range from the 1950's to the (late) 1960's (!). I assume that all Sullivan records were released between 1957 and 1959, only in the 45rpm format.
- The first release probably was #1078 by the Abraham Brothers. The number is the same as was used on the Hollywood issue (Hoyt Sullivan had a leasing deal with John Dolphin, owner-operator of Hollywood and several other labels). After that, Hoyt Sullivan started the 300 series in which three releases appeared. Then #6226 was released. The labels of this last issue showed the label name in larger print and a different address was given.
- Some of the records issued in the Hollywood catalogue were recorded in Hoyt Sullivan's studios in Greenwood, SC.
- There could be more releases on Sullivan. For example, it's rumoured that Hollywood 1041 by the Golden Voices (1955/56) was also released on Sullivan. I'd say that if it was indeed released on one of Hoyt Sullivan's labels, it's more likely that it was on Hoyt's.
- For a download and some more information, click here.
- All years given indicate when the record was released, not when it was recorded.
- A release number marked red, means that a picture is available. Click on the song titles to see it.
Click here for the listing